Study in Australia: Timeline for July 2019 intake
f you have plans to go to Australia for either undergraduate or postgraduate study, the first thing you need is an action plan. Here is an application timeline to give you an idea about what to do in which month for the July intake.
1. First Steps: October 2018 to December 2018
- Start early and by November, shortlist 8-12 universities that you will apply to. Visit university websites and note application requirements, deadlines etc.
- Begin by downloading admissions brochures from the university websites. Most brochures are out more than a year
- By December, be familiar with bank loan options and scholarships to fund your studies.
- Do some initial research on various accommodation options.
2.Crack the Exams: January 2019 to April 2019
- Prepare for required standardized tests like GMAT, TOEFL or IELTS – depending on the course and university.
- By January or two months before the test date, register for GMAT
- Register for TOEFL/IELTS at least a month before the test date.
- Take the required tests around March or April. Plan for buffer time in case you need to retake the test.
3. It’s Application Time: April 2019 to May 2019
- Shortlist the colleges and prepare for your application. Think hard about what makes you unique as an applicant and
sketch out your strengths and self-assessment.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for the required 2-3 reference letters. At least a month before your
- Begin drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month’s time to structure these documents properly.
- Apply before the deadline!
4. What Next: June 2019
- Don’t delay replying to college e-mails. And there will be quite a few!
- You will receive your acceptance letter called COE (Confirmation of Enrolment). You may receive CoE in either
May or June, depending on the institute. You can apply for a student visa only after receiving CoE.
- Depending on the deadline, notify the universities of your decision.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your admission.
5. Visa and Money Matters: Mid June 2019 to Early July 2019
- Search for and begin applying for external scholarships (if applicable).
- Apply for a student loan, after you get your acceptance letter.
- Gather paperwork for your student visa. Check visa requirements.
- Apply for a student visa in time. Keep in mind the time taken for visa processing!
- Arrange for Overseas Student Health Cover.
6. Get Ready to Fly: Late June 2019 to July 2019
- Book airline tickets.
- Arrange for an Internation Debit/Credit card.
- Collect all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out Pre-departure checklist!
Top Universities in Australia 2018
The most efficient way of selecting your study abroad destination is to go by the number of world ranking universities in the country. The higher the universities are ranked, the better is the country considered for higher education. Australia boasts top universities such as University of Melbourne, Australian National University and University of Sydney to name a few. One of the key reasons for Australia’s popularity among international students is that it is a research-intensive country with strong infrastructure for the same. Some of the popular locations for students to study in Australia or best students cities in the country are Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra among others. Top courses to study in Australia are MBA, Engineering, Accounting and Finance, Sports Management, Hospitality and Tourism Management.
To pursue study in Australia, it is imperative to gather knowledge about the top institutes for better understanding and successful decision. Following table displays the name of the top 20 universities in the Australia with their respective official rankings:-
|QS Rank||THE Rank||ARWU Rank|
|1||The Australian National University||20||22||48||47||97||77|
|2||The University of Melbourne||41||42||32||33||39||40|
|3||The University of New South Wales||45||49||85||78||101-150||101-150|
|4||The University of Queensland||47||51||65||60||55||55|
|5||The University of Sydney||50||46||61||60||83||82|
|7||The University of Western Australia||93||102||111||125||91||96|
|8||The University of Adelaide||109||125||134||142||101-150||101-150|
|9||University of Technology Sydney||176||193||201-250||201-250||301-400||301-400|
|10||The University of Newcastle(UON)||224||245||251–300||201—250||301-400||301-400|
|11||University of Wollongong||232||218||251–300||251—300||201-300||301-400|
|13||Queensland University of Technology (QUT)||247||276||201–250||201—250||201-300||201-300|
|16||University of South Australia||279||288||201–250||251—300||—||—|
|18||University of Tasmania||313||370||301–350||301–350||201-300||201-300|
|20||La Trobe University||360||386||351–400||351–400||301-400||301-400|
|Institute||Level of study||Application deadline|
|The Australian National University||UG||Mid-December|
|The University of Melbourne||UG||Late December|
|PG||Last week of October (For February intake)|
|The University of Sydney||UG||Last week of January (For March intake)|
|PG||Last week of November|
|The University of New South Wales||UG||Last week of November|
|PG||Last week of November|
|The University of Queensland||UG||Last week of November|
|PG||Apply anytime of the year(depends on seat vacancy)|
|Monash University||UG||Late November|
|PG||First week of Dec (For February intake)
First week of June (July intake)
Last week of June (medicine and dentistry)
|University of Western Australia||UG||No specific deadlines (Must apply at the earliest)|
|PG||First week of December (varies)|
|The University of Adelaide||UG||Varies as per programme|
|PG||First week of December (varies)|
|University of Technology Sydney||UG||Last week of Nov (For February intake)|
|PG||Last week of November (For February intake)|
|Macquarie University||UG||No specific deadlines (Submit application at least three months before)|
|PG||Last week of October (Some programmes)
First week of February (September intake)
Timeline of Admission Cycle
|May- June (previous year)||Research your options|
|June||Register for standardised test and take test|
|July||Prepare the application package and get you test scores.|
|August- September||Start applying|
|October- November||Applications close|
|December-January||Colleges start replying to applications|
|December||Prepare your finances, explore scholarships and apply for education loans.|
|December-January||Apply for the students Visa|
|February- march||Session starts|