News & Events
30 IELTS Academic Essay Questions of 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Posted by: IELTSReview
- Category: IELTS
They are from January to June 2017. If you study them you get an idea about the kind of questions they ask now.
1. Some people think that drivers should pay for building and maintaining roads, while others think that the government should pay the costs of infrastructure. What is your opinion? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
2. Some animal species are now completely extinct. Many people believe that we should prevent this from happening in the future. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
3. Many companies invest their money in sport and games for advertisement purposes. Some people think it is good for the world of sports, while others believe that it has more disadvantages. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
4. Nowadays young people are spending most of their leisure time using smart phones and tablets for entertainment. Is it a positive or a negative development? Give your own opinion and examples.
5. Nowadays many parents believe that children’s use of tablets or computers would be good for their future academic careers. What are the advantages and disadvantages of such a belief? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
6. Some people believe that looking after our health is a duty to the society we live in, rather than a personal need. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. Many parents allow their children to play games on computers and other electronic devices because they think it helps to develop their technical skills. Do you think the advantages of this approach outweigh the disadvantages?
8. Most people try to balance between work and other areas of their lives. Unfortunately, not many achieve this delicate balance. What are the main problems people are facing? What is the best way to overcome them?
9. Nowadays the number of cars on roads is increasing incrementally. The best way to change this trend is to charge higher road tolls on busy roads. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion.
10. Consumers nowadays are faced with increased advertising from competing companies. To what extent do you think consumers are influenced by these advertisements? What measures can be taken to tackle this issue?
11. Many criminals after serving their time behind bars usually commit crimes again. Why do you think it is so? Give causes and your solution to it.
12. Nowadays most developing countries receive financial aid from international organisations. However, many people believe that help in the form of advice and skills is more important and useful than money. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this view?
13. Nowadays most big cities have high congestion and road traffic issues. What are the real causes for this? Suggest a solution that will help to reduce it.
14. Foreign tourists must be charged higher fees than local people to visit cultural places and historical sites. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your own opinion including relevant examples.
15. Many people believe that more money should be allocated to teaching science than any other subjects for a country to progress. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and examples.
16. Some people believe that professional workers such as doctors and teachers should be paid more than sports and entertainment personalities. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and relevant examples.
17. Nowadays schoolchildren and students are taught to be competitive towards their classmates and aren’t they encouraged to help weaker students. Do the disadvantages of this outweigh the advantages? Give your own opinion and support it with relevant examples.
18. Some people say that use of mobile phones should be banned in public places or crowded areas, while others disagree. Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
19. Nowadays children spend more time playing computer games than doing sports. Why is it happening? Does it have a positive or negative effect on their development?
20. In many countries a few people have extremely high incomes compared to the rest of the population. Some believe that this is good, while others say that the government should not allow this to happen. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
21. Some people believe that modern designs for schools and offices with more open spaces are necessary. What are the advantages and disadvantages of such spaces? Give your opinion.
22. Some people believe that it is better to keep criminals in prison for longer, while others disagree and say that we must find a different solution. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
23. Nowadays most people choose to throw away broken things instead of repairing them, and replace them with new ones. Why is this happening? What problems may it lead to?
24. Many people think that every individual is responsible for his own healthy lifestyle. Others believe that governments should take care of it. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
25. The main aim of an advertising campaign is to increase sales of a certain product, but people don’t really need it. To what extent you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
26. Nowadays all new town planning should include public parks, shopping malls and sport facilities. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
27. New parents should attend parenting classes to learn how to bring up their children well. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement? Give your opinion, supported by examples from your own experience.
28. Nowadays many young people often spend their free time in shopping centres. This has a negative effect on the youths and the society. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and relevant examples.
29. Some schools start teaching a foreign language in primary school years. Do advantages of teaching languages to young children outweigh the disadvantages? Give your own opinion and examples.
30. Nowadays many people use social media to communicate with others in social and professional life. Discuss advantages and disadvantages of social media. Give your own opinion and relevant examples